Saturday, January 7, 2012

Raaaaaspberry Puree

       

Picture of the day - two of the greatest people in the world!! My little family, which consists of me, mom, uncle, and grandparents, gathered to celebrate upcoming birthdays of my mom's 50th and my uncle's 40th. Even though it was a small gathering, I always have so much fun and feel so complete when I am with them. They are unabashedly quirky and love me unconditionally, and being around them never fails to bring me back to who I truly am. Tonight the birthday song was sung in the traditional style of my family, 3-part harmony with my grandfather as the bass and my uncle's gorgeous voice as the baritone. My uncle took ten years to make dinner because he is both a brilliant cook and an experimentalist, so cooking usually means hours of marinating this, reducing that, letting this simmer, at the end of which time we have just enough energy to drag ourselves to the table. To his credit, however, that steak and sauce it took 20 hours to make was amazing. Afterwards we had chocolate cake and a raspberry sorbet that my uncle also made. As soon as it was served, my mom immediately starting singing "Raaaaaspberry puree!" to the tune of Prince's "Raspberry Beret," saying that she used to think those were the actual lyrics. Now not only is that song stuck in my head, but it is also making me hungry.
I can't form cohesive thoughts anymore because it is 2 am so I'm going to be lazy and post pictures instead!

RAAAAAAASPBERRY SORBET!















I love how my grandmother writes her F's
















For every occasion, my grandmother has a table. She will spend all year collecting various decor for the Christmas table, which is a different theme every year, and has a decorating talent which rivals Martha Stewart. Every birthday table is personalized - this year the balloons have my mom's baby picture on one side and my uncle's on the other! The napkins, which my grandfather proudly proclaimed that he folded, were made to look like birthday hats. And yes, my whole family can fit around this table.

Ok. My brain is shutting down. But I blogged, dammit! Accomplishments!

No comments:

Post a Comment