Thursday, January 5, 2012

I think my cat has schizophrenia

This is my cat, Sushi.

















As you can see, she's a bit off.

The first night I got her, someone had left in her in an elevator, so my boyfriend brought her home as a Christmas surprise for me because I really wanted a kitten (specifically rescue kitten). All she did for the first night was purr and snuggle up next to me, burying her head in between my neck and shoulder and occasionally licking my nose. How sweet! Then came time to feed her...and I saw a touch of insanity in those precious feline eyes. "Maybe it's just because she's so hungry from being outside," I thought. But every time I feed her it's like she hasn't eaten in days, and she screams non-stop until finally shutting herself up by eagerly slamming her face into the food bowl. However, in order to get the food into the bowl you have endure the obstacle course of getting it from my kitchen cabinet to my room, which involves trying to balance a cup of cat food while having your ankles endlessly circled by a ravenous feline who attempts to jump the four feet in the air to get to her dinner. I literally have to shove her away from her bowl just so I can get the food into it without her knocking it out of my hands in excitement.

Then there's the jumping at things that aren't there. Maybe it's just beyond the capabilities of my limited human vision, but she is bound and determined to destroy something on my walls that I cannot see. The other night she woke me up at 2 am trying to climb the door frame and repeatedly failing with the sound of scratching nails down the side of the wall. Sure, she plays with her toys, bottle caps, boxes, and other random things, but when she starts going for invisible specks I start to wonder about her mental stability. Occasionally the invisible thing will move to the carpet, and throughout the day she will pounce forcefully on some area in the carpet which has absolutely no objects in the vicinity. She will then move back to inspect her catch, and often become alarmed at the fact that there is nothing beneath her paws. Such realizations in cats may cause disillusionment and lead to depression and anxiety over invisible specks, and I am in no place to look after a schizophrenic cat.

Right now she is suckling contently on my panda pillow pet, from which she is determined to get milk. She may have some disturbed idea that it is her mother.

Her alcoholism doesn't help either. She will only give "kisses" if you have been drinking, and the other night she stuck her face in my wine glass. More signs of mental instability.

But she is a sweet cat and seems to be loyal, so I'll let her stay crazy as long as she's happy. In other news I worked 8 hours tonight and want to go to sleep. Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment